Disclaimer

The following information contained in this Blog is the sole opinion of the writer based on her personal and professional experiences and viewpoints and IS NOT nor is it meant to represent the official opinion and/or standing of the Board of Education as an entity.

Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Silent Screams are Deafening

My hope was to forge a blog supported by the Plainfield Board of Education that would act as a vehicle for informing the public with regard to the inner workings (within the limits of the law of course) of the BOE. 

Perhaps this is still a possibility...

In fairness to my colleagues, let me be clear that the conversation was never broached given the myriad of issues we have had to deal with since my appointment to the office of Board Member. And as time and issues – and community misinformation would have it – I cannot stand silent while folks (bloggers, journalists, employees, citizens and so forth) blatantly miss educate this public. So – I’m writing my own blog, on my own time and concerning MY OWN position on school-based issues. Any position taken by the Board (the body) will need to be sought from our Board President who is the ONLY person who speaks on behalf of the official standings of the Board of Education.

Here is my position and the consideration for the writings of this Blog:

  1. I’m going to provide you with the Truth.
  2. I’m going to provide you with MY reasons for voting this way or that...
  3. To the extent that there will be information that is off limit – YOU will just have to respect that position. “It is what it is”. But -- if you are a citizen who is interested in doing things right and in decency and in order -- then I would expect you to understand the need for me to maintain confidences for which I am legally obligated to do.
  4. I will allow comments that add to the value of the conversation, but if you wish to be rude and/or disrespectful you’ll have to take that elsewhere – there are places for comments like that – but this won’t be the platform.
Now, CONTRARY to popular belief I really am legally restricted in what and how I convey my decisions as a Board Member.  Please bear with me as I navigate through legally sensitive conversation and discourse to ensure what I do is not only ethical but legal -- and sometimes these two are diametrically opposed -- Sad but TRUE.

Nevertheless you have my commitment that I will share what I can when I can and that it will be the truth as I understand it.  You won't always agree or even understand, but to the extent that  you have elected me in this position (for those of you who have) I'm asking you to trust that I will as I have always done -- I will continue to be open and honest.  Please don't make it impossible for me to be either of the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2010-2011

All Rights Reserved